Chicken with Green Olives and Pasta
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Veggie Stir Fry
Easy Butter Chicken
French Silk Chocolate Pie
Italian Sausage and Rice Paella
Linguine and Scollops with Spinach
Marinated Lamb with Pasta
Meatballs with Vermicelli Noodles
Mustard Baked Chicken with Pasta Shells
Stuff I Like To EatI put this page here for my own benefit. Sometimes when I'm staying with a friends, family or just visiting someone I often wish I had my cookbooks with me when I decide to make a meal. With this page I do. Here are some of my favourite recipes.
Caesar Salad DressingGrate the cheese yourself. If you don't spring for fresh Parmesan cheese then forget it.
3-4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 scant cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
2-3 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup Extra Light Olive Oil
I use one of those hand help mixers but I guess any kind of an electric blender would do the trick.
1. Mix the garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, anchovy paste and cheese together until well blended and salt is dissolved.
2. While the blender is still churning away at the mixture slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream.
3. The dressing should have a mayo type consistency.
Mix it with lettuce. To really fancy up the salad add garlic croutons, boiled eggs and some real bacon bits.
From the Website Good Housekeeping Food
Here's what you'll need:
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 6 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces each)
• Kosher salt, pepper
• 10 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
• 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
• 1 bay leaf
• 3/4 c. dry white wine
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 8 oz. kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
• 1/2 c. pitted green olives
• 1/4 c. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Step 1. Heat oil in lg. deep skillet on medium-high.
Season chicken with 1/ 2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side
Transfer to plate.
Step 2 Add mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes.
Transfer to plate with chicken.
Step 3 Lower heat to medium and add red pepper, garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender,8 to 10 minutes.
Add wine and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes (and their juices).
Step 4 Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, nestlittg chicken in tomatoes, and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Fold in kale and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes more.
Uncover, discard bay leaf and stir in olives and parsley.
Chicken with Green Olives and PastaHere's what you'll need:
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
6 Chicken Thighs, part boned
2 Garlic cloves
2 Red, Green or Yellow bell peppers (cut into large pieces)
9 Ounces button mushrooms, sliced or quartered
6 Ounces tomatoes, skinned and halved
5/8 Cup dry white wine
1 1/2 Cups pitted green olives
4-6 tbsp heavy cream
14 Ounces dried pasta
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil and the butter in a skillet. Add chicken and fry until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan.
2. Add garlic to pan and saute over medium heat until it starts to cook. Add bell peppers and mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to a casserole and arrange the chicken on top.
3. Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Pour the wine over the chicken. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 350F for 50 minutes.
4. Add the olives to the casserole and mix in until well combined. Pour in the cream, cover, and return to the oven for 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta then place it in a serving dish.
6. Arrange the chicken on top of the pasta, cover with the sauce and serve immediately.
Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry
From the website Tasty
A fabulous site for quick recipies
Getting take-out is a crave-worthy indulgence. And with our easy chicken veggie stir fry recipe, you can recreate the magic of a Chinese takeout right in your very own kitchen. Feel free to mix up the protein or vegetables depending on what you have in your fridge. The simple sauce packs a flavor punch that will bring the dish together, no matter what.
Total Time: 32 min, Prep Time: 20 min, Cook Time: 12 min
Ingredients for 6 servings
Remove cooked chicken from pan and set aside.
Chicken Pot Pie
A delicious chicken pie made from scratch with carrots, peas, and celery in a pre-made crust. Add thyme and poultry seasoning for more flavor. By Robbie Rice. I found this at All Recipes
Prep: 20 mins, Cook: 50 mins, Additional: 10 mins, Total: 1 hr 20 mins, Servings: 8, Yield:1 9-inch pie
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan; add water to cover and bring to a boil.
Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and drain.
While the chicken is cooking, melt butter in another saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside.
Place chicken and vegetables in the bottom pie crust.
Pour hot liquid mixture over top.
Cover with top crust, seal the edges, and cut away any excess dough. Make several small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake in the preheated oven until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Easy Butter ChickenFrom the website Tasty
A fablous site for quick recipies
Ingredients, for 4 servings
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (910 g), cubed
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
½ teaspoon turmeric
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 ½ cups yellow onion (225 g), diced (not me... being an onion hater)
3 teaspoons garam masala (can't seem to find this anywhere)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cinnamon, 3 inch (8 cm) stick
14 oz tomato sauce (395 g)
1 cup water (240 mL)
1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
rice, for serving
Eggs Benedict1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayo
2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
4 slices bacon
2 English muffins
dash red pepper sauce
nonstick spray coating
1. Combine yogurt, mayo, milk, dry mustard and red pepper sauce... set aside
2. Cook the bacon
3. Poach the eggs
4. Slice the 2 muffing in half
5. Cook and stir sauce over a low heat. DO NOT BOIL
6. To serve: top each muffin with 1 slice of bacon, 1 1 egg and 1/4 sauce.
French Silk Chocolate Pie9 inch Graham Cracker Pie crust
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon whiskey
sweetened whipped cream
1. Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, creaming well.
2. Blend in melted and thoroughly cooled chocolate and vanilla.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition with an electric mixer.
4. Pour into cooled pie crust. Chill for several hours until firm.
5. Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Chicken PiccataFrom the website Cafe Delites
A fantastic site for recipies
Golden, crispy chicken breasts lightly dredged in flour and parmesan cheese, pan fried until a soft golden crust forms and finished off in a buttery, silky, lemon garlic sauce with capers and white wine or stock! It doesn’t get any better than this easy chicken piccata for dinner! Ingredients, for 4 servings
2 tablespoons flour (all purpose or plain)
2 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese finely grated
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
2 tablespoons olive oil divided
4 large cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup dry white wine (can be omitted)
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup brined capers rinsed
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
Parmesan Cheese to serve
Italian Sausage and Rice PaellaHot and spicy Italian sausage is great for this dish but I prefer to use the sweet (mild) Italian sausages. I just add a little more hot pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Here's what you need:
3/4 lb Italian Sausages (2) thickly sliced (I sometimes use 3 or 4 for company)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups boiling water or chicken stock
1 cup long grain rice
1 sweet green pepper cut into chunks
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp turmeric (this is very important for the colour)
Dash hot pepper sauce
Couple of Drops of vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Put the sausages in the oven at 350F for about 45-50 minutes
2. Put a couple of drops (maybe a tablespoon) of vegetable oil into a dutch oven (or some similar pot) and fry the garlic until it's lightly browned. Add the chicken stock.
3. Stir in the rice. Green peppers, tomatoes, bay leaf, turmeric and hot pepper sauce.
4. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf.
This recipie came from the cook book 'Light Kitchen' by Anne Lindsay
Linguine and Scollops with Spinach1/2 lb. Linguine
1/2 cup Chicken Stock or white wine (There is a low fat vegetable bouillon that I find works great)
1/2 lb. Scallops
1/3 cup light cream cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 cups shredded spinach (I just use the whole bag)
2 tbsp. freshly grated Parm cheese
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the linguine until it's tender but firm; drain it and put it back into the pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer and add the scallops. Cover and simmer for about 4-6 minutes. When the scallops are cooked, remove them with a slotted spoon, and put them in the oven to keep warm.
3. Put the cream cheese and lemon rind into the remaining hot liquid and stir it until it's smooth. Pour over the pasta and toss.
4. Add spinach, basil and scallops and toss some more. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
If you want this meal to stay low fat then go easy on the Parmesan. When I first made this meal I thought the spinach would never behave but if you keep tossing it will eventually come under control and shrink down to size.
This recipe came from the cook book 'Light Kitchen' by Anne Lindsay
Marinated Lamb with PastaYou need to marinate the lamb for at least 12 hours. (Although I've done it for only a couple of hours and gotten away with it but the longer the better) Usually, the night before I'm going to cook the lamb is when I marinate it. If you can't buy a leg of lamb de-boned then you have to do the grisly work yourself.
For the marinate you'll need:
2 tbsp. Dried or grated rind from 1 lemon
3 tbsp. Lemon juice
2 tbsp. Sodium-reduced soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. Minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. Packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Hot pepper sauce
Trim the fat from the lamb and place it in a bowl or plastic bag. I find the big freezer bags great because you can reach into the fridge and turn the lamb easily every couple of hours. Combine the above ingredients along with the lamb and shove it all in a zip lock freezer bag and put it in the fridge. You need to remove the lamb from the fridge about an hour before you cook it.
I nice side dish for the lamb is pasta. The most important thing about pasta is to make sure it doesn't stick together when cooking so put some olive oil in the water.
Here's what you'll need for the pasta dish:
4 tbsp. Butter
1 cup Frozen peas
2 cups Broccoli, broken into florets
7/8 cup Heavy Cream
1 lb. Mixed green and white linguine (the green to add a little colour)
1 tbsp. Olive oil
2/3 cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra to serve
salt and pepper
Preparing the meal:
Broil each side of the lamb for about 10 minutes for medium-rare. (15-20 minutes for well done) Once it's cooked, take it out of the oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes. Slice it thinly across the grain. What I like to do is place the lamb along the sides of a nice big platter and put the pasta in the middle.
While the lamb is standing make the pasta.
(1) Steam the broccoli.
(2) Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the peas and cook, over a low heat, for 2-3 minutes.
(3) Using a measuring pitcher pour 5/8 cup of cream into the pan, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until it's slightly thickened. Then take it off the burner.
(4) Meanwhile bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. (Until tender but still firm to the bite) Take the pan off the burner, drain the pasta and put it back in the pan.
(5) Add the broccoli, peas and cream sauce to the pasta. Put it back on the stove and add the remaining cream and the Parmesan cheese. Put a little salt and pepper in there and add a pinch of nutmeg.
(6) With a couple of forks toss pasta to make sure the broccoli and peas are coated with the cream sauce.
Meat Balls1 cup rice (Uncooked)
1 egg, whipped
1 lb lean ground beef
Salt and Pepper
1 large can of tomato juice
1 cup of flour
1. To make the meat balls mix the rice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, egg, hamburger meat together in a bowl. (Get it as mixed together as possible)
2. In a large sauce pan (a dutch oven type thing) bring the tomato juice to a simmer.
3. Make the meat balls small, they'll grow bigger because of the uncooked rice.
4. Roll the meat balls in the flower to coat each meatball.
5. Put all the meat balls into the tomato juice and let simmer for 45 minutes
6. Serve them over a bed of Vermicelli noodles
Mustard Baked Chicken with Pasta ShellsThe chicken pieces are cooked in a succulent, mild mustard sauce, then coated in poppy seeds, and served on a bed of pasta.
Here's what you'll need:
8 pieces of chicken (about 4 ounces each)
4 tbsp. butted, melted
4 tbsp. mild mustard (* see tip)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. paprika
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
14-oz. Fresh pasta shells
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
(* Tip: Dijon is the type of mustard most often used in cooking, as it has a clean and only mildly spicy flavour. German mustard has a sweet-sour taste, with Bavarian mustard being slightly sweeter. American mustard is mild and sweet. I used the American mustard*)
1. Arrange the chicken pieces smooth side down, in a single layer in a large oven -proof dish.
2. Mix together the butter, mustard, lemon juice, sugar and paprika in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Brush the mixture over chicken pieces and heave 'em into the oven (preheated to 400F) for 15 minutes. (Don't use all the mixture yet)
3. Take the dish out of the oven and turn the chicken pieces over. Coat the chicken again with what's left of the mustard mixture. Now sprinkle the poppy seeds over the chicken and pop 'em back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
4. Pour up some more wine for your guest.
5. While all this is happening you should be boiling a large pot of lightly salted water. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook them until they're tender but still firm to the bite.
6. Drain the pasta, arrange it on a warn serving dish. Top it off with the chicken and pour the sauce over the works.
I got this recipie from What's Cooking Pasta by Tom Bridge
2 cups cake flour, more as needed
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
½ to ¾ cup heavy cream, more for brushing
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the flour, salt, baking powder and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
2. Add the egg and just enough cream to form a slightly sticky dough. If it’s too sticky, add a little flour, but very little; it should still stick a little to your hands.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice, then press it into a 3/4-inch-thick circle and cut into 2-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter or glass. Put the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Gently reshape the leftover dough and cut again. Brush the top of each scone with a bit of cream and sprinkle with a little of the remaining sugar.
4. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the scones are a beautiful golden brown. Serve immediately.
Yorkshire PuddingsNewfoundland.ws is a collection of Newfoundland and Labrador related websites, stories, recipes, photos and more.
This is a link to their recipes page.
I was always looking for a bit of paper to jot down needed things for grocery shopping. It was nuisance to say the least. So I decided to write myself a little program which would create a shopping list to put on the fridge door.
You can add, edit or delete items as well as categories.